November 26, 2005

TV star, that's what I aren't


Today, whilst out gathering provisions for Dope Manor, I was approached by a reporter and cameraman from a local TV station (which shall remain nameless) as I approached my car in the parking lot.

This really comes as no surprise, as I'm incredibly telegenic and naturally, they'd spotted me from some distance and were immediately drawn to me as a fine and intelligent specimen from which to get some pearls of wisdom to grace their broadcast.

The reporter pleasantly explained that they were out trying to get reaction shots from people about a proposed factory hog lot operation to be located near Barstow, IL.

Being myself, I certainly felt that I should be able to come up with some sort of opinion on the matter, and I struggled for a few moments to try to come up with one.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I came up with nothing. Zip. Nada. I tried to debate the issue out loud with myself to come up with something, but after a minute or so, I had to sheepishly admit to them that I really couldn't give an informed opinion and lord knows I didn't want to add to the glut of uninformed opinion already on TV. I wanted to help them out, but I just couldn't.

I'm certainly opposed to these massive, concentrated hog lot operations. From what I know, they're nasty, in more ways than one. They crowd hogs into almost unconscionable conditions, and produce a dangerous and staggering amount of toxic waste, which leads to possible ground water pollution, and the area for miles around being subject to waves of unimaginable stench.

They literally build good sized lakes to hold this stuff, if you can imagine. The environmental argument against these things is pretty substantial.

And on top of that, it's a way of producing hogs which is really pretty Orwellian and utterly removed from any natural process of raising animals.

But the reporter pointed out that it would also bring jobs, and tax revenue to the area as well.

I was trying to figure out how to articulate these things but couldn't come up with anything on the spot. It didn't help that I was also simultaneously wondering if I had anything stuck in my teeth, if my hair was properly coiffed, and whether to lower my voice, fix the camera with a steely gaze and appear serious, or play it light with some disarming wit.

It was hard for me to speak out against it when I wasn't going to have to suffer the consequences of being it's neighbor. And without knowing more facts about the proposal, I didn't feel I could spout off one way or the other.

What I'd like to know is, given these sketchy details, what do you think about this proposal?

8 Comments:

At 11/26/2005 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another point to consider is that a factory hog farm is antithetical to the idea of locally grown, locally consumed food.

 
At 11/27/2005 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask Rep Verschoore about it - it's his best buddy's hog lot so he ought to know....

 
At 11/27/2005 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

diehard... I assume your employed making more money than you know what to do with?

News 8 said they are union jobs, pay starting at $11.50 an hour. I'd take a job at $11.50 with health insurance....

 
At 11/27/2005 8:07 PM, Blogger Cal Skinner said...

The best button of the 1990's in Springfield was "Pigs Don't Vote."

 
At 11/27/2005 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure anonymous drink the Kool-Aid! More low paying jobs that will only attract more illegals.
Illegals are destroying small town America.

 
At 11/28/2005 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybesomeday, that is pretty funny, "get guts" and don't use anonymous. Is "maybesomeday" your sir name or your first? ;)

 
At 11/28/2005 9:17 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Anonymous, first of all, that's "surname" and not "sir name", but aside from that, you are correct in that every commenter, other than those who choose to use their real names, are anonymous here.

But it is very confusing and undesirable to have too many people who don't take the few seconds it takes to click on "other" when leaving a comment and fill in a user name.

Of course, it's preferable to register with blogspot, which gives you the advantage of being able to delete your own comments if you wish.

But using "anonymous" is really taking no ownership of your comments at all, whereas at least sticking to a name or registering one with Blogspot is taking responsibility and ownership of one's comments.

Please avoid using "anonymous" as a handle.

 
At 11/30/2005 12:26 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Not that's an interesting question. Just the kind of meaningless diversion that this site needs about now. If I can figure out who the newsbabes are, (as it stands, I couldn't name one) maybe I'll rig up a poll.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home