July 5, 2006

Boom

Since I screwed up and missed all the fireworks displays on the 3rd, I made it over to Bettendorf last night for their show.

Not bad.

There was a HUGE crowd on hand sitting in the grass field, but they looked kind of weird. Maybe it was that South American toad I licked by accident. (though it's odd that the picture came out looking just like I saw it. Go figure.)

clickpic


Anyway, the fireworks looked pretty normal.

You know the drill, click for bigger image.
(IF you run Internet Explorer and it's set to automatically fit images to the window, hover pointer over picture (or click outside picture and then back on it) and wait for the little square to appear in the bottom right. Click that for full size image.)





Fireworks, or a dandelion on acid?

Ever feel like this?




I tweaked the above shot and came up with this. (looks nice enlarged)




As you can see, I couldn't shoot fireworks too well with a little point and shoot, but some of them look pretty cool despite the shaky exposures.

After the show, it was utter gridlock in the area. It took 45 minutes to get from Middle Park to I-74. Any slower and people would have been backing up.

One heartening thing was that despite the maddening delays people still stopped to allow people to pull out. Always nice to see.

7 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 5:13 AM, Blogger Adamcbradway said...

Nice firework photos, didnt get to see any this year. Yours do the trick

 
At 7/05/2006 5:32 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

That's great to hear. (that you appreciate the pics, not that you missed the fireworks of course.)

There's always next year, right? I hope you're able to get to see them then.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, though they don't do the real thing justice.

If there's a problem that prevents you from getting out to see them, drop me an e-mail and I'd be glad to help if I can.

They have displays during the year around the area as well.

 
At 7/05/2006 6:24 AM, Blogger QuadCityImages said...

Seems like your out-Quad City Image-ing QuadCityImages lately.

Nice shots Dope.

 
At 7/05/2006 6:40 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

You're too kind QCI.

I depend a lot on luck and the liberal (but of course) use of cropping and sharpening, which forgives a lot, and occasionally hacking around with Paint Shop Pro.

 
At 7/05/2006 9:54 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Del, with all due respect, I'd worry about myself if I were you.

Just how do you think I'm "promoting Republicans"? I think you're imagining things.

And as for shooting pictures of things that have beauty, would you worry less if I posted shots of ugly and boring subjects, like, oh.... press conferences or something?

Del... now you've got ME worried.

I think we should both stop. Worry is a waste of time.

 
At 7/06/2006 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TID, you're taking some great photos! My little ones liked the fireworks shots, and the Mrs. and I liked the parade shots (and captions).

 
At 7/06/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Hey Huck, that's great to hear.

I videoed the fireworks and have a ton of captured stills from them.

They're not the size or resolution of the still shots, but they're pretty amazing.

But some have complained (well, one person) about all the "pretty" pictures, and I don't want to overdo it.

I have some cool pictures from a fishing trip yesterday, but again, I don't want to wear people out with pictures.

But maybe I'll slap some up later.

I'm also thinking of trying to find one of those photo hosting sites. Maybe that would be the solution. I could put many pictures up there, and just link to the page here. That way, people who wanted to take a look could do so, and those who have no interest wouldn't have to wait for them to load and scroll past them to get to the stuff they like.

And yes, part of the fun of putting up pictures is getting to write the captions. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home