July 4, 2005

Journalistic Ethics

I've been lambasted on occasion for not being a "good journalist", of being unfair, and I've had it suggested that I should be ashamed of myself more than once. Others attack my anonymity, saying the mere fact I retain my privacy somehow suggests that I'm not legitimate or relevant. Some have even gone to the lengths of suggesting that wanting to avoid injecting personality into this shows a lack of courage on my part. (Definitely not the case.)

The fact remains that when someone dosn't like what I write, they often dream up some reason to attack me or the blog. (And if I put my name on this, they'd attack me personally rather than my work here. Why sign up for that grief?)

But in light of those who seem to demand that I operate according to some unspecified standards which they maintain I'm not meeting, or who confuse this blog with a commercial media outlet such as a newspaper, I seriously wonder what those critics would do if I were to adopt the standards and ethics of the supposedly "responsible" media such as the Omaha World-Herald. Compared to their sleazy and irresponsible actions, I'm a saint.

I think I'll stick to my own standards, thanks anyway.

3 Comments:

At 7/04/2005 5:34 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I agree

 
At 7/05/2005 12:30 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Thanks Dave.... I think.

 
At 7/06/2005 6:47 AM, Blogger maybesomeday said...

To continue my thought on my post above this issue--

The next Supreme Court Justice(s) will shape the future of these types of issues. The freedom of the press has become a hot button nationally. Take that along with the Patriot Act and Terrorists; stir until blended, and you have a cauldron of confusion - led by Karl Rove.

I predict our heads will spin with the speed in which our next Justice is confirmed. Then after that appointment is over, Rove will let Rehnquist step down and they will do the same drill once again so that in October we can "let the games begin".

Strap down for a wild scarey ride citizens.....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home