July 4, 2005

Journalistic Ethics

I've been lambasted on occasion for not being a "good journalist", of being unfair, and I've had it suggested that I should be ashamed of myself more than once. Others attack my anonymity, saying the mere fact I retain my privacy somehow suggests that I'm not legitimate or relevant. Some have even gone to the lengths of suggesting that wanting to avoid injecting personality into this shows a lack of courage on my part. (Definitely not the case.)

The fact remains that when someone dosn't like what I write, they often dream up some reason to attack me or the blog. (And if I put my name on this, they'd attack me personally rather than my work here. Why sign up for that grief?)

But in light of those who seem to demand that I operate according to some unspecified standards which they maintain I'm not meeting, or who confuse this blog with a commercial media outlet such as a newspaper, I seriously wonder what those critics would do if I were to adopt the standards and ethics of the supposedly "responsible" media such as the Omaha World-Herald. Compared to their sleazy and irresponsible actions, I'm a saint.

I think I'll stick to my own standards, thanks anyway.

2 Comments:

At 7/04/2005 5:34 PM, Blogger Dave Victor said...

I agree

 
At 7/05/2005 12:30 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Thanks Dave.... I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home