June 5, 2005

All you need to know about the Discovery Channel's "100 Greatest Americans"

Just caught the beginning of this much hyped program tonight, in which the public is supposed to vote on who is the "Greatest American" after an initial round of voting to narrow it down to 10.

Within the first few minutes, which started at number 100 and counted up, Matt Lauer all but ridiculed the inclusion of John Edwards near the bottom.

But here's all you need to know. Dr. Phil, the goof-ball "life coach" flash-in-the pan whose 15 minutes of fame is hopefully at about 14:58 and counting, ranked ahead of Bobby Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson. (and so did Barbara Bush!)

Barack Obama actually made the list as well, though near the bottom.

2 Comments:

At 6/05/2005 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, you're a stronger man than I. When I saw the list I about puked, so I couldn't wash. At least half the list wouldn't belong on a Top 1000 list.

 
At 6/06/2005 4:08 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I couldn't take it after about the first 7, but I'm sure Tony Orlando was on there... probably 10 spots ahead of Martin Luther King Jr. and 20 ahead of Jonas Salk.

Before I could reach my remote to change the channel, I did see that Brett Farve also came in ahead of RFK and LBJ.

All the pre-show commercials got me thinking about who I'd tap for "Greatest American", and without much thought, I came up with Mohammed Ali.

He was a true great in sports, peaceful protest against the draft, a religious figure who adhered to his beliefs even at the risk of ruining his career and losing out on millions, and the threat of jail, and he was (is) just one hell of a man, period.

Then I realized. I really really hoped he'd win. First, it would only be fitting be if the "Greatest" got picked as the "Greatest". And secondly, how deliciously ironic would it be if we honored a devout Muslim as our nation's greatest?

The ramifications would be profound... at least I'd hope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home