May 13, 2005

Jacobs going great guns on fundraising

Even though some loose screws will accuse me of actively trying to stir up in-fighting or of being obsessed with turning the blog into the National Enquirer, and others will consider it somehow an "attack" on Jacobs, here's a piece in the Dispatch/Argus in which Sen. Mike Jacobs is candid and proud of his fund-raising ability. I posted a little piece in response to "HeadUsher"'s bragging about Jacob's fund-raising prowess a few days ago and people lost their minds. But now that it's in the paper, I guess it's just fine.
State Sen. Mike Jacobs, D-East Moline, puts the price tag on his political security at about $250,000.

That is how much he hopes to raise by the end of June in an effort to scare off potential primary challenges to the 36th Senate District seat that Sen. Jacobs was appointed to earlier this year, replacing his father, Denny Jacobs, in February.

"I am well on my way to doing that," he said. "I am raising it as fast and as furiously as I can."

He already has money or pledges of more than $180,000, according to state election finance documents and the senator's estimates.

"I've turned out to be pretty darn good at it," he said of fundraising. "I'm not as good as the governor, but I'm doing pretty well in Springfield."

Potential primary challengers or Republican opponents haven't stepped forward, through State Rep. Mike Boland, D-East Moline, is said to be considering a run.

Sen. Jacobs earned his stripes as a fundraiser working on his father's first senate campaign.

And in turn, his war chest got a huge boost from the elder Jacobs. The campaign received a $75,000 transfer from his father's campaign committee, Friends of Denny Jacobs.

"That is a commitment from my father that flattered me," Sen. Jacobs said. "It shows his belief in me.

"That was money I raised on behalf of him," he said. "I can't imagine anyone thought that Denny wouldn't be as helpful to me as he could."
OK, have at me.

1 Comments:

At 5/14/2005 6:31 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

What you said, GOP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home