April 9, 2005

Spammer busted, facing prison

Here's a bit of news that should brighten up the day of anyone who has to deal with hundreds of pieces of spam e-mail daily, such as yours truly. I hope they continue to bust these guys, though when this guy was making $750,000 a month, it'll likely take a lot more than a few busts to scare people away from the practice.
A North Carolina man convicted in the nation's first felony prosecution for spamming was sentenced yesterday to nine years in prison, but the judge postponed the sentence while the case is appealed.

A jury had recommended the nine-year prison term after convicting Jeremy Jaynes of pumping out at least 10 million e-mails a day with the help of 16 high-speed lines, the kind of Internet capacity a 1,000-employee company would need.

2 Comments:

At 4/09/2005 4:10 PM, Blogger maybesomeday said...

Yes, I believe this is good news. I for one am sick of getting emails for drugs I am not ever gonna need - the sender assumes he or she knows my gender -- ha ha --and sends stuff for all types of maladies that will never befell me.....

It's so ridiculous and yet - many people actually fall for that line about I have a billion dollars and need a place to send it for safekeeping - can you please give my your PIN number and access to your bank acct??

Who would be dumb enough to do that? Apparantly thousands of folks.

I say send em to Jail and then keep them away from all electronic devices please --- I mean come on - the bureaucrats need to be taught some common sense sometimes. Has anyone thought of that? I hope so.

 
At 4/12/2005 1:48 AM, Blogger Truthbait said...

I hate spam, but apparently the only reqason this guy is going to jail is because he did not share his wealth with politicians.

His penalty should be going around in his community and collect all the junk mail that fills our land fills, is anyone going to jail for that?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home