December 27, 2006

A more "technicaller" technical note

Well, here's the deal.

Blogger is the service which hosts TID. They are undergoing a supposed upgrade to a newer, different system and have been encouraging bloggers to voluntarily switch over to this beta version for some time now. However there were reports of difficuluties, etc. so I didn't make the plunge.

I then discovered WordPress thanks to Rich Miller's suggestion and was sold on it. After finding I could import TID to WordPress and not lose TID entirely, I went ahead and started the import process.

This took the last couple days. It would go from 0 to 100% and then start over. I just let it run in the background and would check from time to time. It would report that TID was 28% imported on the main import page, and no matter how long I let it run, it would never change.

I started it over from scratch a couple times, but had the same results. Finally, this morning, after letting it run all night, it popped up a screen saying, "You are not allowed to import." Ahhh. How nice.

Apparently what happened is this.

In what is impecably bad timing for me, Blogger decided to make their new version THE version and started involuntarily switching blogs over to this new system.

The problem there is that WordPress can only import the "old" version, which I had.

So, in a stroke of perfect bad timing, my blog apparently got 28% imported to WordPress and then Blogger switched it to the new Blogger, which completely messed up and stopped the import process.

Well, that's a big bummer, to say the least. I was looking forward to being on WordPress and utilizing it's features.

And of course, I now find that the import process has stripped the entire blog of all paragraph formatting so every post is just one huge chunk of text. Simply editing them and putting in paragraphs doesn't fix it either.

So now I guess I'll have to switch over to new Blogger, hope that clears up the formatting mess, and see what happens.

In the meantime, feel free to leave comments, but I doubt I'll be posting much until I get things straightened out.

Thanks for your patience.

**Update** I was able to solve the paragraph problem and some other minor issues, so at least this should be somewhat readable now.

4 Comments:

At 12/27/2006 2:56 PM, Blogger Mac said...

Dope, you seem to be having the same problems I had with Blogger a few months ago. I made the mistake of switching to Blogger Beta, and it caused quite a few headaches. It seems now that many of the bugs have been worked out; for example, I can post here now.

Good luck with the swtich, but don't expect Blogspot tech support to help. They never returned my emails.

 
At 12/28/2006 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you are able to switch to WordPress at some point. I use both Blogger and WP (though separate blogs) and greatly prefer the latter.

 
At 12/28/2006 10:38 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Yinn, I appreciate your opinion.

But very unfortunately, I can't seem to successfully migrate the blog to Wordpress, and neither can I update it to the newer version of Blogger.

So I'm stuck in a state of limbo at the moment.

I too like a lot about Wordpress, except that you can't change the font size and it appears a lot smaller than I prefer.

It's also a more laborious process to upload and include pictures and graphics in your posts.

And of course, it requires learning and entire new system.

But it certainly has a lot going for it, particularly the ability to black list trolls.

 
At 12/28/2006 4:20 PM, Blogger UMRBlog said...

I have no experience with WordPress but the Googs were a headache to deal with during the Beta phase of New Blogger.

To be fair, the new version is now out of Beta and the limitations have more to do with my lack of talent than their lack of features.

Glad you got your para's straightened out.

Continued Success.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home