September 11, 2006

Unity Day Dinner a passing of the torch

Scott McFarland, a bright young Democrat and valued commenter here at TID, publishes a journal/blog "Get busy living or get busy dying", which is a famous line from the movie "The Shawshank Redemption", which was in turn taken as the title of a song by the band Fallout Boy, whose name is in turn taken from a movie character played by the character Milhouse Van Houten on the Simpsons, but I digress).

Scott attended this year's Democratic Unity Dinner, held annually in Springfield by Rep. Lane Evans and posted a thoughtful account of last Saturday's event. This year of course, marked a transition.
The night was a passing of the torch. Those who have known the 17th District know that this race is very important. For me, this will be the first time that Lane Evans is not my Representative, and for everyone we are seeing a friend step down after years of hard work. It was a sad and joyous event that left many eyes wet with tears. My eyes included.

Read more here.

3 Comments:

At 9/11/2006 2:22 PM, Blogger QuadCityImages said...

You're killing me Dope... both Fallout Boy and the Simpsons took that quote from The Shawshank Redemption, one of my favorite movies of all time.

 
At 9/11/2006 2:35 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Ooops. When I punched the phrase into Google, there was one hit pointing to that movie, but of course, there were about a dozen or more referencing the song. Sorry for inadvertantly omitting the movie reference. It's been added.

Good thing I don't have to pay you as proof-reader, error checker, and anything you can think of'er, or I'd be out a lot of $. Thanks.

 
At 9/11/2006 11:04 PM, Blogger Mac said...

Dope, I appreciate the kind words and the support.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home