June 15, 2006

Smooth move

Bush gave a rather rare press conference yesterday and had this exchange with reporter Peter Wallsten of the L.A. Times:



THE PRESIDENT: Yes, Peter. Are you going to ask that question with shades on?

Q I can take them off.

THE PRESIDENT: I’m interested in the shade look, seriously.

Q All right, I’ll keep it, then.

THE PRESIDENT: For the viewers, there’s no sun. (Laughter.)

Q I guess it depends on your perspective. (Laughter.)


What a card, right? But it turns out that due to macular degeneration, Wallsten is legally blind and wears the shades to protect his eyes.

The clip and more at Think Progress here.

Reminded me of the time a couple years back when Stevie Wonder was performing at the Kennedy Center (I think) and little C-student George, sitting in the audience, WAVED at him.

And they wonder why Bush doesn't inspire confidence.

4 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Bush learned that interview technique from Bobby Knight.

 
At 6/15/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

As well he should have.

Maybe Bush should quit trying to shoot from the hip. He seems to have about as good of aim as Cheney.

 
At 6/16/2006 11:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What's next for Bush, "Hey, Steven Hawking, what's up with the rolling recliner. I'd sure like to kick up my feet about now. What's with voice? You like Knight Rider? I loved Kit too, heh-heh."

The really sad part was that he trotted out his “I looked in the Prime Minister’s eyes and I could tell he was good person” schtick again. How’d that work out with Putin? “Crazy Eyes” Cheney just got done bashing Putin in his own backyard. If he wasn’t the President it’d be funny.

 
At 6/16/2006 7:05 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Illini... how right you are.

Reminds me of the time in the recent past where Bush greeted a person confined to a wheelchair at some press availability and actually said, "Hey, that looks comfortable." or something to that effect. (I'll try to look it up)

And of course, Bush also dubbed ex-KGB honcho Putin "Pootie-poot" after reading the guy's soul by looking in his eyes.

This brings up a constant though. WHY were the American people so damned blind? The signs and evidence were EVERYWHERE even before 2000 that Bush was a callow lout and not ready for prime time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home