May 5, 2005

Brush with fame

I was doing a bit of bragging in comments below about how noted columnist and author Gene Lyons had written me about pieces I'd written for an on-line political journal, and it led to this idea.

Almost everyone has at one time or another met someone who was famous (or infamous).
I mean, these days the standard for celebrity seems fairly low, there's a lot of "famous" people running around out there.

My own list is amazingly long, and I'd met most of them before I was 35, and even more amazingly, most of them I met in the Quad Cities. A few of the notable ones include Malcolm Forbes. I sat at a local bar on a Saturday afternoon and shot the breeze with him when he stopped in on a trip down the Mississippi with his motorcycle group, the "Capitalist Tools." They were largely composed of hardbody pretty boys (in leathers) that old gay Malcolm preferred. I was the only person who recognized him. What did one of the world's wealthiest men, a guy who dated Elizabeth Taylor and who owned a chateau in France with one of the world's most lavishly stocked wine cellars drink? A Paul Masson wine spritzer. (not that there was anything in the way of fine wine at this place.)

I "met" Frank Sinatra backstage, when he appeared at the Mark shortly before his death. I said "Hello Mr. Sinatra", and he said, "How's it goin'?" before receiving applause from the backstage crew and boarding his limo which was parked backstage.

I spoke with Stephen Stills at of all places, a small Lane Evans benefit in Rock Island.

I was backstage in the dressing room of a famous musician who shall remain nameless, when Hunter Thompson came back with his pal Ed Bradley of 60 Minutes. Thompson at one point began relieving himself in the sink, to which a musician in the band took strong exception as there was a female band member present. Things got a bit heated, but any ugliness was averted.

And one weird one where the guy who played the bearded sidekick to Michael Landon on "Little House on the Prairie" (his name escapes me) was in town for a Michael Nunn fight. He was stinking drunk and stumbling around the bar with a whoopie cushion, which he employed often. I read less than a year later that he was dead.

I was in a small bar in a very toney town in Florida when Rod Stewart walked in. After a few hours, we happened to be leaving at the same time and I said hello and introduced myself. Rod the Mod said, "Oh yeah! I've heard of you!". Now that's a great line!

I rode the shuttle between the U.S. Capitol and the Senate office buildings sitting directly across from Ted Kennedy.

And everyone sees celebrities on the streets of New York, right? Mine was a big one. I saw Nipsy Russell walking down 5th Avenue in Manhattan. (sheesh)

Those are only a few to get you started. So, tell us about your "brush with fame." Who did you see or meet, and how did it come about? What was your impression of the person? Politicians, sports figures, musicians, criminals, movie or TV stars, anyone we may have heard of. I know you've got them but usually don't have a reason to tell anyone. Now's your chance.

7 Comments:

At 5/05/2005 8:43 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Those are all great Dissenter. One of the interesting things about this topic is just what a mixed bag of celebs people meet. I can only imagine getting them all in one room. That would be one truly weird group!
Reminds me of the bizarre cultural stew I once experienced at a local club. A traditional Irish group was on stage singing about death and desolation, I was playing pool with Leon Redbone just behind the stage, and then later was introduced to Billy Cobham, one of the best jazz/fusion drummers in the world, and sat in a booth talking with him for quite a while.
Very strange night indeed. Redbone had come to the bar after a show, and Cobham was in town for a clinic and someone had taken him out to this bar afterwards.

And Dissenter, of course I was running to get back here. As everyone knows, I make buttloads of money off of this site. And those little satin short shorts aren't cheap. Plus, if I didn't run like a scalded dog everywhere I go, I'd revert to the blimp I used to be.

 
At 5/05/2005 9:29 AM, Blogger TMock said...

Being born and raised in California among the hippest of the hip in the 1970's, my list of famous friends and acquaintences is numerous, but among the stellar (and perhaps not so):

Cherie Currie and her sister Marie,
Joan Jett and the rest of The Runaways, John Travolta, Quentin Tarantino, the entire Zappa clan and various famous groupies, etc. My ex husband is related to Kevin Bacon, which is why I keep my profile on the down low.

Since I've been living in the Quad Cities off and on since my teens, I haven't met any celebrities here that I can readily think of, except for Jimmy Carter.

 
At 5/05/2005 9:31 AM, Blogger TMock said...

PS--How stupid am I? I completely forgot to mention that my brother dates a famous actress who lives in NYC. I guess since I forgot all about her, I must not be easily impressed?

 
At 5/05/2005 10:11 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

RG... ah yes, I've heard chilling tales about that infamous Kevin Bacon mafia. No wonder you want to keep your ID secret. ;-) (I bet you always win that 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game too, huh?)

Did you actually meet, as in speak to, the people you list? That's pretty impressive. But forgive me, I've never heard of Cherrie Curry and her sister Marie, unless of course you hung out with the woman who discovered and studied radioactive material which later killed her. Explain?

And what "famous actress" does your brother date? We don't know you, so we can't know your brother. And we won't tell anyone. Promise.

Your talking of not meeting anyone famous in the Q.C.s reminds me of another legend I met, but this time waaaay out in some miniscule town in Iowa. A friend (who was actually more of a punker than anything) drug me out to see Little Jimmie Dickens, a charter member of the Grand Old Opry and country music legend perform on a flatbed truck. He had his glittering Nudie suit on and everything. I remember when we got his autograph after the show we told him we'd skipped seeing Bob Dylan in Davenport that night and came to see him instead. (Dylan played that night) and Little Jimmie was full of praise for Bob.

 
At 5/05/2005 12:02 PM, Blogger Fly-on-the-wall said...

I once saw John de Lancie (played "Q" on Star Trek: Next Generation) in an airport. He looked tired. Too many Star Trek conventions?

 
At 5/05/2005 1:09 PM, Blogger TMock said...

I actually and really know the people I listed, except for Jimmy Carter. Cherie Currie sang with The Runaways and also starred in the movie Foxes with Jodie Foster back in the day as well as made numerous apperances on various televison shws and movies. She has recently re-released her book titled Neon Angel which documents her life. Her sister Marie sang with Cherie in the early days when they were up and coming.

The actress my brother dates is married, which is why I can't reveal who she is (her husband is a CEO of a major talent agency in NYC). I'll tell you that she's been on Broadway, but that's all I'm sayin'. Truthfully, I'd tell everyone if I could. :)

As for the Bacon clan, they're strangely rude people. Someone I met on line who once worked for Rolling Stone interviewed Kevin and said he was one of the rudest people she'd ever met. I can certainly sympathize. Poor Kyra Sedgwick (Kevin's wife) is probably too good to be included in the family. I for one am glad I escaped. My ex now lives the high life in Australia and hasn't seen his kids in 5 years, nor has he been in contact with them since 1998. Those Bacon's just arn't my favorite family.

 
At 5/06/2005 12:40 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

We understand diehard. I wouldn't want you to strain yourself. ;-)

But thanks for letting us know that your list is numerous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home