March 1, 2008

Who knew?

I was channel surfing today and caught a program about a case I'd heard about years ago. It involved the disappearance and murder of a Bellevue, IA antiques dealer who specialized in Civil War items. The case had many twists and turns, including the fact that the body could not be found, despite a guy who was friends with the victim and his girlfriend being identified as the killers.

Eventually his skull was found encased in a block of concrete at a truck stop in Missouri, but no one knew his identity. The authorities in Missouri had a likeness reconstructed from the skull and distributed the likeness.

Then a waitress in Louisiana who spent her spare time trying to help solve such cases managed to comb through missing person's web sites and felt she had a match and authorities were able to confirm that the skull indeed belonged to the Bellevue antique's dealer. The couple had killed the man, supposedly by accident in a fist fight, then travelled around the mid-west selling off antiques they'd stolen from him. They'd dismembered the body and scattered he pieces all around the midwest.

They were eventually tried and convicted.

But at the end of the show, the credits listed the QC Times for providing additional footage, as well as KWQC, who apparently are now located in Louisianna.



Just remember, you can always believe it if you see it on TV.

2 Comments:

At 3/01/2008 8:17 PM, Blogger nicodemus said...

Do you like true crime novels? This sounds like it would be a fascinating story.

 
At 3/02/2008 5:37 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

This story is certainly interesting, to say the least. The show was kind of crappy and told the basics, but I'm sure there's more to it.

I'm not sure if any writer has thought to do a book on it though.

I enjoy good shows (or at least not too crappy) about crimes and how they got solved, such as Cold Case Files and American Justice. There's a lot of imitators out there and some shows of this type just suck so bad they're unwatchable.

It also helps that I can zap through commercials in about 3 seconds or less with the Tivo type program I have that records TV on the hard drive.

The remote has a button that instantly jumps ahead 30 seconds, so you can just zap, zap, zap, zap and you're back to the show.

It's so nice that now I'm completely spoiled and it makes sitting through interminable commercial breaks even MORE annoying than before, if that's possible.

It's so bad that now I can't even watch a show in real time, but record it instead. The program on my computer allows you to simultaneously watch a show as it's being recorded.

So I just let it record for maybe 10 minutes, then start watching. As I get to the commercials, I zap through them, and get done watching the show sans commercials about the same time the show is done in real time.

Don't know exactly how I got off on that tangent.... but...

I guess I was thinking that a LOT of TV I'm not sure I'd think was worth watching if I had to sit through 10 minute commercial breaks. It's getting so damn bad that after these endless commercial breaks, you literally forget what show you're watching.

And then so many shows are so short on actual content that after each break, they eat up a few minutes recapping what's happened so far (probably because they know it's been so damn long people would forget).

I wouldn't doubt that some hour long shows have about 10 minutes of actual content. It's really horrible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home