August 30, 2006

Humungous Fungus

There's some fungus among us, and this one is pretty damn big.

This is a Giant Puffball (Calvatia gigantea) By the time I spied it, the top half was gone likely due to rain or something else which broke it's paper thin skin.

The entire thing is filled with spores which are as fine as powder. The slightest touch can break the tissue thin skin releasing the spores to float on the breeze like smoke. Apparently, these things are edible if you find them before they mature and turn brownish. They reach their huge size in only a week's time.

As with other types of fungus, they can also be found in "fairy rings" in the woods or lawns, as shown on this page which also shows some even larger specimens.

3 Comments:

At 9/02/2006 10:05 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could try.

I heard about people smoking turkeys, so I tried it once, but I had a hell of a time keeping it lit.

-rimshot-

I used to do drugs in the 60's, but now I don't care what the temperature is.

Thanks, you've been a great audience.

 
At 9/03/2006 5:14 AM, Blogger QuadCityImages said...

Don't quit your day job...

 
At 9/03/2006 6:07 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Rough crowd.

Getting heckled on a blog. Yeesh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home