June 27, 2006

Drinking Liberally, again

**UPDATE**

Kudos to YoungDem, the wonderful, charming, and take-charge sort of person who has taken it upon themselves to apply for a chapter of Drinking Liberally here in the Illinois Quads.

He asks that anyone with any questions or comments contact him at QCIL.DrinkingLiberally@yahoo.com

Way to go YoungDem. Let's all get behind this and show some support at least to get it off the ground.


Last year, I wrote the following post. A loyal reader has again expressed interest in the idea, and perhaps someone would be willing to step forward and assume the very modest responsibilities in starting a local chapter.

I would like to attend, but for obvious reason's I can't start the chapter myself.

The following first appeared on November 29th, 2005.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drinking Liberally is an organization which describes itself thusly:
An informal, inclusive Democratic drinking club. Raise your spirits while you raise your glass, and share ideas while you share a pitcher. Drinking Liberally gives like-minded, left-leaning individuals a place to talk politics. You don't need to be a policy expert and this isn't a book club - just come and learn from peers, trade jokes, vent frustration and hang out in an environment where it's not taboo to talk politics.

Bars are democratic spaces - you talk to strangers, you share booths, you feel the bond of common ground. Bring democratic discourse to your local democratic space - build Democracy one drink at a time.
I'd drink to that. How about you?

Amazingly, there's no local chapter established as yet. If anyone is interested in starting one, the how-to is found here.

Let's discuss it here and get this ball rolling. I think it would be a fun time, and I'm optimistic we can avoid throwing chairs, pulling hair, or decking each other.

I think it would foster a little more brother and sisterhood amongst local Dems, progressives, or others to the left side of the political spectrum. It's hard to really loath someone who buys you a drink, at least for a few hours.

And if someone just bores the life out of you or annoys you to the point where you want to scratch your own eyes out, you could always migrate to another part of the room or cloister yourself in a booth where they can't get to you.

I bet with a little social lubrication, things would go well. A plus would be that it wouldn't be an organized party event, thus it wouldn't be in a florescent lit room with folding chairs, stale carrot and celery trays or donuts and day old coffee from styrofoam cups, which oddly, since this seems to be the preferred forum for Dem meetings, isn't very condusive to discussion or camaraderie.

Any ideas for a good meeting spot? Preferably someplace affordable and comfortable.

Ideas? Volunteers? Let's see if we can get this going.

6 Comments:

At 6/27/2006 8:52 PM, Blogger QuadCityImages said...

As I said on the original post, I'd be a willing participant in this. However, despite my generally liberal views, my Independent status prevents me from starting up a chapter.

 
At 6/27/2006 11:03 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

QCI,
It's obvious you cherish your "independent" label, but I'd have to wonder why you think that would prevent you from kicking off a chapter of DL. I don't think they require an official liberal membership card or anything.

I sincerely hope that other's don't share your fear of being associated even obliquely with the word liberal.

If that's what's holding people back from starting something fun and informal like this, then it's a sad situation.

 
At 6/28/2006 6:18 AM, Blogger QuadCityImages said...

No way, I love the word liberal. Its the word Democrat I'm not wild about (although I'm even LESS wild about the word Republican). They describe themselves as a Democratic drinking club, but I'm a Liberal Independent.

 
At 6/28/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger jtizdal said...

Maybe it's defunct, but there appears to be a QC chapter:
* Every Thursday, 6:00 pm onward
* Ruby Tuesday, 3805 E 53rd St, Davenport (in front of cinemas) (map)
* Hosted by Alta Price and Caroline Vernon, quadcities (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Join the Quad Cities mailing list
* Discuss in the Quad Cities forum

6 is a little early for me, but if I ever find myself working in the QC again I'd be down.

 
At 6/28/2006 2:17 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Tiz,
Thanks for that catch. Alta Price and others have been very active in the Dean brigades and continued their activism from then. They have a chapter of the spin-off of the Dean organization (can't recall the exact name at the moment).

And Del.... good idea!

 
At 6/29/2006 1:58 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Yes, the cab ride often costs far, far more than the night on the town, unfortunately.

I'm sure that the high cost prevents a lot of people who should from taking advantage of it.

While politicians and taxpayers rail against drunk driving, I'm sure that they'd never agree to subsidize cab fares for those who feel they're not fit to drive, thus cutting down on drunk drivers significantly.

And besides, the DUI industry is far too large a revenue source to tamper with.

But an over-priced cab ride is still a bargain compared with the alternative of risking arrest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home