April 26, 2006

The Inside Dope's global influence

I noticed this many months ago, (June of '05) but just came across it again and I still get a kick out of it.

A female blogger in Moscow, Russia (not Iowa) includes a link to The Inside Dope.

Not only does the blog link here, it's the ONLY link on the entire blog.

Those of you who enjoy reading Russian will love The Russian Bird. You can see the link to her post entitled "The Inside Dope" in the list to the left.

I recall that at the time I discovered the post, I ran it through an on-line translation service, but I don't recall what the post says. Something about what an idiot I am if I remember correctly.

Note: I just ran the post through Babblefish and this was the result:
I cannot be dismantled with the system of the retention of the authors at local bloge necessary to you. I attempt now to avos'..nu, they went
Well, it makes as much sense as some comments I get.

And from another online translation service, we have:
I can not understand with system of preservation of the authors necessary to you in local блоге. [blogs] I try now at random.. Well, have gone.
That's a little more coherent. I take it to mean that she couldn't figure out how to link to other blogs and tried to link to one at random (which happened to be The Inside Dope) But who knows? Any Russian readers out there?

And another amazing site to do with blogging is Blogshares. It's an incredibly complex site which operates as an elaborate market where blogs are the comodities for which people buy and sell stock. Frankly, it's over my head, but it's kind of interesting.

Here's the page for The Inside Dope.

Shares stand at $2.50 with a P/E ratio of .92 They say the stock is undervalued and is a buy recommendation.

Don't miss your chance to get in on the ground floor.

6 Comments:

At 4/26/2006 6:23 AM, Blogger QuadCityImages said...

I tried Blogshares for a while, but its pretty silly. There's basically this whole system where you "buy" a low priced blog in 4 blocks of 1000, and then sell them back off, and for some reason the price goes up more from buying than it drops from selling. It basically an exercise in who has the most free time, so I suck at it.

 
At 4/26/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I don't get it either. Recently people were "forcing" me to sell shares and then they'd be replaced at a higher value and they were using all these "artifacts" or special power things they'd aquired somehow or other... pretty involved and confusing.

Other that buying some shares, I have no clue how to participate, so I don't.

But I'm amazed at how complex the site is, with millions of blogs indexed and all the stats and sheer magnitude of the data they deal with. It's pretty amazing that it even exists.

 
At 4/27/2006 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dope-the D/A had a piece on Senator Obama's staffer in the region. nice article. you know the kid? Obama made a good move in hiring a local Marine. Good for our area and good for young Mr. Ahern.

 
At 4/29/2006 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree anon, 2:42. Good kid, good family, good Democrats. Good call Senator Obama. Semper Fi Mr Ahern

 
At 5/01/2006 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would quit worrying about my global image and start worrying about your local image.

You are losing all your traffic to the corporate blogs. They used you and now they are abusing you!

 
At 5/01/2006 2:44 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I'm certainly not worried about "corporate blogs".

I don't feel that I'm competing against them either. They are in an entirely different catagory, and I certainly can't compete with them.

They send out their papers to thousands of households daily with promotions for their blogs all over. I don't advertise at all.

Of course they're going to get far more traffic. I'd be stunned if they didn't.

It's not an issue to me.

And while they may pick up things from this blog and use them in the paper, I certainly don't feel "used" in any way.

I use their news reports for basis for discussing local issues and all blogs have an interactive relationship, both linking to and from each other.

And my traffic isn't decreasing, it's INCREASING, thank you very much.

It's all a good set up with people able to browse several local blogs each of which offer something a bit different. It's a good situation and I'm perfectly comfortable with it.

You can stop sending in your endless comments about how I should be angry about "corporate blogs" now. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home