December 21, 2005

A novel idea, Code of Fair Campaign Practices

Via a post from David at Illinoize, I notice that the Illinois legislature actually took the time to draw up a Code of Fair Campaign Practices, in the hopes that candidates would sign on and not act like politicians tend to act, one might suppose.

The post reveals that a record number of candidates have pledged to honor the code this year, which is a good sign.

I must admit that while I read the Code, I had a great laugh thinking of a certain local legislator and how he (or his supporter) have conducted themselves just on blogs alone.

Here's the Code.

1. I will conduct my campaign openly and publicly, and limit attacks on my opponent to legitimate challenges to his record.

2. I will not use or permit the use of character defamation, whispering campaigns, libel, slander, or scurrilous attacks on any candidate or his personal or family life.

3. I will not use or permit any appeal to negative prejudice based on race, sex, sexual orientation, religion or national origin.

4. I will not use campaign material of any sort that misrepresents, distorts, or otherwise falsifies the facts, nor will I use malicious or unfounded accusations that aim at creating or exploiting doubts, without justification, as to the personal integrity or patriotism of my opposition.

5. I will not undertake or condone any dishonest or unethical practice that tends to corrupt or undermine our American system of free elections or that hampers or prevents the full and free expression of the will of the voters.

6. I will defend and uphold the right of every qualified American voter to full and equal participation in the electoral process.

7. I will immediately and publicly repudiate methods and tactics that may come from others that I have pledged not to use or condone. I shall take firm action against any subordinate who violates any provision of this Code or the laws governing elections.

So... would it come as any shock to learn that out of Jacobs, Verschoore, Boland, and Rumler, the ONLY Democratic candidate or incumbent who has not seen fit to agree to abide by the Code of Fair Campaign Practices is... our Senator Jacobs?

It's a good thing, seeing how, as we all have, the comments left here (and on other blogs) by either himself or his surrogate have done such a bang up job of violating most of the code. They seem to have a particular fondness for violating #2 and #4. Frankly, #3 and #6 are the only rules they've left unmolested so far.

(I use the word surrogates above as there has never been a single word from Sen. Jacobs disavowing or condemning any of the hundreds of often vicious and crude slurs, attacks, and smears left in his behalf here, nor to my knowledge on other blogs where such comments have appeared.)

3 Comments:

At 12/22/2005 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Jacobs is the only one that hasn't signed? Maybe he figured that his Dad's signature was good enough.

 
At 12/22/2005 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this apply to local Municipal elections as well Dope? I hope so after that nasty campaign that Don Welvart and Stan Leach and his sleaze friends ran -- to try and get as negative as they could since they were so desperate.

Does it keep the press from joining ranks with campaigns and taking sides like the Dispatch did last April for Moline Mayor? I sure hope that it forces them to stay neutral or face embarrassement. That Mayor campaign for Don W in Moline was sad. The only bright spot in the whole contest was the way Pat O'Brien conducted himself. The rest of the opposition and the Dispatch were a bunch of sleazeballs from the minute that the primary ended for 4 weeks....

I don't want to ever see that again in Moline and stil believe that Don W should be ashamed of himself for his lack of leadership and sitting on his hands letting others do his "dirty work" and make false statements.... Roger Claussen comes to mind too as a slimer----

As a voter, it just sickened me to see the lengths to which Don W would go to win and he BARELY made it too by the slimmest of margins.....

Let's pressure our local elected City pols and candidates to follow this one too even if it's not on the books for them as law!!

 
At 1/01/2006 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets see if THODOS would agree to this!
His last campaign violated almost ALL of the 'codes'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home