October 31, 2005

It's Chili Season, y'all


Chili is a wonderful dish. Like barbeque, it lends itself to improvisation and people can put their individual stamp on it in many ways.

Some like it with beans, or, as in major chili cook-offs where beans are strictly forbidden, without. There are endless possibilities, but only some are truly great.

When I make chili, I never have a clue as to what it will end up being or how I'll end up cooking it. I start with the intention of pretty much following accepted practices, but never fail to veer off into improvisation, flying by the seat of my pants until I finally step away and let the concoction simmer and blend and await the results.

Such was the case last night, and, though a final definitive judgement isn't in just yet, I think I have a winner.

Any chili heads out there? What's the best chili you've ever eaten, why, and where did you get it? Got any hot tips or killer recipes? Let us know! If we get enough, I'll put 'em up on a separate page for future reference.

And if you're nice, I just MAY share my recipe for Chile del estilo de Dope. You might hate me, hate the blog, hate life, but you might love my chili. (Of course my recipe is just a guideline. It will be YOUR chili when you make it.)

2 Comments:

At 11/01/2005 8:06 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

It's all good.

C'mon folks... I'm sure there's someone out there with a chili recipe that they're proud to share.
If you don't know how to register in order to commment, see the "Registration How-to" link in the sidebar.

I'm looking for some killer recipes, got one?

 
At 11/03/2005 7:44 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Not that anyone will see this, or that anyone apparently cares, but here's the ingredients for my Chili ala Dope.

1-1.5 lbs Sirloin or personal choice (the more tender the better)sliced thin and then chopped coarsely
1 lb ground sirloin
2 large green peppers, diced
2-3 med yellow onions, diced
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
2-4 jalepeno peppers, seeded and sliced
1 can diced tomatoes (include liquid)
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
2 packets "Chili Man" Award Winning Chili spices
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp of Lawrey's seasoned salt
coarse ground salt to taste
fresh ground Tellicherry pepper to taste
1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
2 cans black, kidney, or pinto beans. (optional, I don't use 'em)
1 tsp or more of crushed dried peppers, habanero, New Mexico, California, Anjo, chipotle, chile negro... your choice out of several varieties or mix and match. If you want a quicker fix, use the prepared stuff like they have in pizza joints.
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
2 tbls A-1 or Heinz 57 steak sauce (optional)
2 cups hot and spicy V-8 juice, or 1 can of beef stock with 2 tbsp granulated chicken stock dissolved in it.

Serve garnished with grated cheddar, chopped onions, fresh cilantro, or with sour cream.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home