July 24, 2005

Completely secure

As you may have noticed, there's a new poll up. In contemplating your response, bear in mind that voting in the poll DOES NOT mean you're making a donation, you're just casting an anonymous vote. Nor does it obligate you to donate a certain amount. (though that would be nice.) To donate, click on the tip jar and go from there.

The donation process is 100% anonymous. The only thing reported to me is the donor's e-mail address (I think) and I'm not even certain about that. But I am certain that no names are revealed. If you're not already registered with PayPal, the sign up is very easy and quck, and it will enable you to send or receieve money by credit card or bank transfer to or from anyone over the net. (Great for auctions, online purchases, etc.)


And again, there are no set amounts one must donate, you can donate a dollar or a thousand, it's up to you. Small donations are perfectly fine, but of course, if money is really tight for you, and I realize it is for many people, put the money towards something more important. But the response (or lack thereof) will likely affect the energy I continue to devote to this effort.

I wish I could give you little shaved ham sandwiches and a cash bar, or perhaps some "heavy" hor d'ourvres. I can't get you into a "private reception" in exchange for a donation of a few hundred, or get your alley paved, quietly get your company off the hook for polution violations, fix it so you can develop a sprawling condo complex with government money and avoid taxes for decades, or get your kid in to a service academy or give 'em free tuition, etc. I can't.

I know a lot of readers get hit up for donations every time they turn around from politicians of all stripes. But this is a little different. There's not a $50 minimum here. There's no "patron" level of donation (though if you give $50 or more, you'd be A-OK in my book), there's no "levels" at all. Give a buck, or give a thousand. It's up to you. But please consider giving whatever you feel appropriate if you've enjoyed reading the blog and would like it to be here in the long run.

2 Comments:

At 7/25/2005 7:23 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Sure, my name is Po... ooops. Oh you tricker!!! I see what you're trying to do. Ya almost got me there. (just kidding)

Actually, there is no reason not to trust Paypal. Literally millions of people use it on a daily basis to pay for and receive payments for eBay items and millions of other online payments. It's completely secure, has been around for years, and is by far the most secure online payment service in existence.
I myself have used it at least 50 times to both send and accept online payments and I've never had a problem.
I'm sure many of my readers have used it as well.

 
At 7/25/2005 8:59 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Well, I get the picture, but it seems out of focus.

First, I don't see how you can speak for anyone other than yourself, and secondly, I can't for the life of me understand why someone would hesitate to make a donation for a service unless they have a name and a face to associate with it.

Are you really saying that you wouldn't donate even a buck or two to someone who's provided a service unless you knew them personally? You probably spend more than that backing out of the driveway, with the price of gas these days.

It makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Are you worried that I'll make a huge amount of money? Are you afraid I'll then spend it on... what? Some evil purpose?

Let me assure you, there's not a lot I can do with whatever amount I raise here, other than help pay my expenses and maybe afford some better services. I'm likely going to run out of storage space on my server soon, maybe I could afford to pay for a service to expand it.

But that's just wishful thinking.

I'll be more than happy to report how much money comes in from this "fund drive." Trust me, you won't be overwhelmed.

And I disagree with your premise. While I can understand one having misgivings, I think they're misplaced and unreasonable.

Putting aside the issue of whether one feels I deserve it, what is there to fear from giving a few bucks to an anonymous blogger? I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in it.

Do people have a name and face to associate with the Salvation Army when they drop a buck in their buckets? After all, you're not donating to the bellringer (you hope), you're donating to an organization.

Do people have a name and face to associate with when they give a bartender a buck for a shamrock for MS?

Or maybe more appropriately for this situation, do people have a name and face when they give a buck to a legless man living on the street? (Well, they do have a face I guess. If I post a picture of someone looking sad and pitiful, maybe with their lower lip protruding and eyes wide and glistening, would that make it easier for ya?)

You drop a few bucks into cans seeking donations for various people who are stricken with medical problems. You don't know these people, but you give because it's a worthy cause.

If you don't feel this blog is worth giving a buck, then of course that's your right. But if you do feel it's of some value to you, I fail to see how the fact that I'm anonymous should have anything whatsoever to do with being willing to contribute.

People that develop software programs routinely offer it as "shareware". Thousands do it. "Shareware" means they make it available for anyone to download and use, but ask the user to send a donation in exchange for the use of the program. They might supply their name, but when they live in Liverpool or Vladivostok Russia, it really doesn't mean much. But that's never stopped me from sending them a few bucks for their talent and effort.

Thanks for providing us your excuse for not contributing Maybe, but I'm disappointed, especially coming from someone who perhaps frequents and comments on the blog more than anyone else. (for which I'm grateful, don't get me wrong.)

I can only hope this excuse doesn't apply to anyone but yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home