April 7, 2005

Much Ado About Nothing

Mike Boland did not have a heart attack. Mike Jacobs did not "confirm" that Boland had suffered a heart attack. (nor did anyone else)

All the frothing at the mouth here and elsewhere is only a direct byproduct of the animosity between these two camps.

Kurt Allemeier covers the story in the Dispatch/Argus.

A feud between East Moline Democrats has been rekindled after rumors Rep. Mike Boland suffered a heart attack earlier this week.

Rep. Boland was hospitalized for two days earlier this week after feeling ill and suffering flu-like symptoms. A battery of tests showed nothing more significant than a virus. The doctor did recommend a vacation, Rep. Boland said.

However, WQAD-TV reported Tuesday night the state representative's heart attack was confirmed by Sen. Mike Jacobs, D-East Moline. The story was retracted during the station's 10 p.m. newscast.

A reporter saw Sen. Jacobs at Moline mayoral candidate Pat O'Brien's party Tuesday and asked if he knew anything about Rep. Boland having a heart attack. Sen. Jacobs said he didn't know anything about that, but that he'd heard in Springfield earlier in the day that Rep. Boland was hospitalized.

However, another source told Rep. Boland the state senator mentioned the heart attack in passing at one of the parties Tuesday night.

Rep. Boland called the heart attack rumor "pure fabrication," "a serious lack of judgment," "a terrible disservice to my friends and family," and said "this sinks politics to the lowest level, spreading rumors about someone's health."

He wondered, "if Mike Jacobs' statements about my health were a malicious attempt to smear a potential political opponent, or if it was simply a case of wishful thinking on his part..."

Sen. Jacobs was quoted in February as saying he called Rep. Boland and tracked him down at an event and said he didn't want the feud to continue.

Sen. Jacobs continues to say he wants to work with his counterpart in the House of Representatives, though he is angered by Rep. Boland's accusations, calling them petty and ridiculous.

"I've tried to do everything to work with Mike Boland and will continue to try to work with him," Sen. Jacobs said. "My father recently had health problems and I wouldn't wish health problems on anybody. I don't know what this guy wants from me."

After missing this week's legislative session, Rep. Boland will return to Springfield next week to help guide two bills he is tracking through the legislature, then he is going to take the doctor's advice. He and his wife, Mary, are going on a cruise when the legislature takes a short break the following week.

"I appreciate all the calls and well-wishers," he said, "but I didn't have a heart attack. I've never had a heart attack."

Rep. Boland had two stents inserted into arteries in 1997 and had prostate surgery in 1998.

Rep. Boland said he hasn't made a decision on his political future, and will wait until after the current legislative session to decide what his next move is. He said he might stay in the General Assembly if offered a leadership position or he may consider a run for statewide office.

And a point of clarification, at no time did I report that Jacobs had said Boland had a heart attack. I simply voiced my opinion that if Jacobs had said what was quoted, it was likely a totally innocent remark, but ill-advised due to how others might take it. Obviously, Jacobs inadvertantly gave Boland an opportunity to cry foul, no matter what the intention or spirit of the remark may have been.

This entire issue is truly much ado about next to nothing.
I suggest people save their indignation and ire for matters that are actually important.

22 Comments:

At 4/08/2005 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if Mike Boland did NOT have a heart attack and Mike Jacobs did NOT say he had a heart attaack then why did Mike Boland hold a big press conference to cry foul? I am so confused. I read that article in the paper three times and still didn't get why Boland was upset. I refuse to watch channel 8 new anymore. they are liars and trouble makers, as is our local paper. I guess trouble sells. Mr. boland, you have your health and that is all that's important. let this sophmorish stuff go, will you? let our legistaltors work together for our good and our adgenda, not theirs.

 
At 4/08/2005 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little birdie to me that Mr. Thodos is Mr. Boland's newest "source" of information. Mr. Thodos should quit stirring the pot while he can.

 
At 4/08/2005 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you shouldn't allow comments anymore like rich miller at the capitol fax

 
At 4/08/2005 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or maybe you should run a real blog like miller's

 
At 4/08/2005 11:56 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

LatinV.... your hunch is very much correct. Anytime I even mention the words "Boland" and "Jacobs" in the same piece, no matter if it's something totally routine and uncontroversial, the comments and traffic errupts and goes to all-time highs.

I have wanted to do a little experiment for some time now, but haven't felt it was the right time. I was going to simply put "Boland" as one post headline, and "Jacobs" as another with no story at all. I just wanted to see what would errupt in comments.

No doubt I'd get criticized, mocked, and condemned for imagined faults, and all sorts of weird venomous comments would appear.

 
At 4/08/2005 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANYTHING to help downtown East Moline. PLEASE!

 
At 4/08/2005 12:06 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

And to the ever-bitchy Anonymous above, maybe I'll start running a blog like Miller's about the time I change careers and become a professional reporter and start selling subscriptions to my newsletter for $350 a year, as he successfully does, as well as getting paid for a syndicated column which appears in many newspapers.

Have you made a donation here yet? Didn't think so. It really is pretty cheesy to make comments like yours. You probably bitch about the quality of the meal when someone takes you out to dinner too. After all, if you're not satisfied with this blog, you're welcome to start one. Let me know when it's up, I'll be glad to give you a link.

 
At 4/08/2005 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous is more than one person here and I will attest to that. I hope you are refering to the 10:52 anonymous.

 
At 4/08/2005 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need for any of us to create new blogs when everything ever written on Inside Dope is absolutely correct!

 
At 4/08/2005 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

because that is the MEAN anonymous who I wish would get off the blog

 
At 4/08/2005 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

calling rich miller a "professional reporter" shows just how out of the loop you really are

 
At 4/08/2005 12:40 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Well folks, all your anonymous's are just proving my point. DON'T post as "anonymous", OK? You don't have to. You make my point for me. It's impossible to identify specific posts you're replying to.

And of course, I was replying to the anonymous who suggests this isn't a "real" blog.

All you have to do, and it's not rocket science, is click the little circle next to "Other" at the bottom of the comment window, and type in any nickname you want.
Simple. Then at least we know who's who, even if everyone's still anonymous.
I've said this at least a dozen or more times, but people just haven't caught on. Maybe now?
It really only makes sense.

 
At 4/08/2005 12:42 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

HA! Good one about Rich Miller, but I'd say someone who makes a living at their profession qualifies as a professional. And to suggest he's not one of the leading reporters in state politics is pretty foolish. You don't get there without knowing what you're doing.

 
At 4/08/2005 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry the boland-jacobs fued is rekindled. was hoping it was over and done with when the old man retired. but if no one said boland had a heart attack what's the point of all this anyway? why is boland up in arms if mike jacobs didn't even say it? childish.

 
At 4/08/2005 1:25 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

When I started this blog, I didn't think politics were pretty. But I had no idea just how ugly, petty, and downright childish it is.

It's been very disheartening to both witness it and to be the focus of some of the ridiculousness that passes for politics in this area.

 
At 4/08/2005 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that why Rich Miller quit taking comments on his site? because people were ridiculous in their opinions?

 
At 4/08/2005 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on Dope you're better than all this whining and crying.

 
At 4/08/2005 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm posting my bet regarding latinV's idea. I am wagering that Senator Denny Jacobs would knock Rep Boland "Right the ---- Out!" 2 punches, one hitting boland, the other. Boland hitting the floor. Whatcha think? What type of odds are we looking at?

 
At 4/08/2005 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole issue is much ado about nothing. Rep. Mike Boland had no right holding a press conference when WQAD had already retracted their story about Sen. Mike Jacobs, and likewise the Jacobs' sympathizers on this site need to get a life and quit talking trash about getting into a boxing ring with someone.

How about doing this. How about rising our sights just a little bit higher on this issue. And Dope, how about if we just forget the Boland-Jacobs issue for a few months.

Let's get back to normal!

 
At 4/08/2005 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!!!! Because thats going to get a ton of hits!

 
At 4/08/2005 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!!!! Because thats going to pay the bills!

 
At 4/09/2005 2:06 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I don't pull stories about either Jacobs or Boland out of thin air. I only mention them if there is a specific story in the press.

I don't mention them to generate hits, it just so happens that any time they're mentioned comments go nuts and hits go through the roof. I don't control that, nor would I want to.

And the absurd notion that I'm doing this to make money is simply hilarious!

I lose money putting this site up, not to mention the hours and hours I sacrifice to gather material, post stories, and maintain the site.

I greatly appreciate anyone who wants to throw some change in the tip jar if they appreciate the site. It helps defray my expenses and if there are enough of them, it would allow me to make some upgrades to the site. It's a nice way to say thanks.

But don't sit there bitterly worrying that I'm making any money here. Not even close, nor is it the point of the site to begin with.

Don't worry, you can still come here and take your shots at me free of charge.

Nice try. Back to the drawing board for some other silly attempt to slime the site.

Thanks for providing a handy link for those who wish to contribute, but unfortunately, that link doesn't work. You need to click on the tip jar to be taken to the page where you can make secure donations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home