March 17, 2005

RI County to pare polling places down to 60

In order to free up money for mandated equipment upgrades, the Rock Island County Clerk's office has reduced the number of polling places from the 108 used in the 2004 Illinois primaries to 79, with a goal of eventually getting them down to 60, a reduction of almost half.
Precincts affected by the consolodations are listed in the linked story.


Note: Blogger just sucks today, so posting is nearly impossible. It also leads to multiple posts of the same thing. If this occurs, I'll clean it up when I'm able to. Not sure if this problem affects the ability to post comments, but it may be very slow. Just let it run for a while before giving up.

2 Comments:

At 3/17/2005 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never have anyone in front of me when I go to vote. Never a line. Glad they are paring those poling places down. If people start voting in droves they can change it. Good job Mr. Lieibovitz.

 
At 3/20/2005 1:11 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I'm hoping that this will prove to be an efficient move as well as freeing up funds for needed upgrades.
The only downside is that so many people have voted in the same place for decades, that it initially will be hard to get people to the right place.

And I hope it doesn't prove to increase congestion on presidential general elections. I too, have rarely had to wait in line to vote, and to tell the truth, I'd really rather not.

I think if this proves to cause long lines, it could depress turnout, as a lot of people would just say they didn't have the time or simply wouldn't want the hassle.

At any rate, it's going to happen and I hope it's a step in the right direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home