March 18, 2005

From the idiotic proposals file

Sen. Donne Trotter, D-Chicago, is seeking to introduce a measure which would place limits on the weight of textbooks.

Senate Bill 1465's sponsor, Sen. Donne Trotter, D-Chicago, had the Senate Education Committee hear his bill Thursday. The committee placed the bill on the calendar for a second reading April 6. The amendment to the school code would put a weight limit on textbooks used in Illinois' elementary and secondary schools.

Sen. Trotter is concerned over the weight students carry and what heavy books and backpacks are doing to them physically.


School officials say that this would require text publishers to publish special editions just for Illinois, at an enormous cost.

Boy, I hate it when the "get government out of our lives" people appear to be right, but this would seem to be one of them. Nice to see sober legislators are dilligently addressing the searing problems of the day.

8 Comments:

At 3/18/2005 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you gotta be kidding me. who is this guy?

 
At 3/18/2005 3:30 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Evidently a guy with nothing much to do.

 
At 3/18/2005 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you here about the bill that would end the practice of force feeding of geese?

 
At 3/18/2005 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

trotter's just carrying this for a constituent whose kid has cerebral palsy and can't carry such heavy books around - get the facts straight

 
At 3/18/2005 5:37 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Why no! But The Dope has long felt that there should be some sort of legislation on this important matter.

I also support strong legislation making it against the law for a grocery store to allow more than 4 customers to accumulate in any one checkout lane as long as there are available lanes.

And anyone that leaves their garbage cans out on a street for more than two days should be subject to having to take their own garbage to the dump themselves for 6 months.

Any other suggestions for needed legislation from all you fine readers?

 
At 3/18/2005 6:07 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Anonymous, any particular reason you're being so crabby? Having a bad day?

Where are you getting your info? Or am I supposed to continue to search out info on this story?

Do you expect me to read every single piece of information from every single source on every single item I post? I don't have a staff, I'm not a freaking newpaper, nor am I a member of the press.

The Dope does appologize as I now realize that I neglected to provide a link to the story used as my source. A link to the story I read is now active, and you'll notice it says Trotter was introducing the bill because of concerns over the possible physical effects on kids from carrying heavy books.
Not a word about anyone's son with CP.

And since when do we enact statewide laws based on one person's problems anyway? It doesn't take away from the dubious nature of the measure.

I'm happy to have readers supply additional info and point me to their sources, but needless to say, your snippy type of comments aren't the least bit helpful to me or to other readers.

 
At 3/18/2005 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

doper, may I suggest a nice glass of whiskey ans some sleeping pills? Chill out Dude.

 
At 3/20/2005 1:03 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

anonymous, may i suggest you kiss my ass?

I defend myself and you think I need to chill out? Sorry to hear you're the doormat type. I guess people can put words in your mouth and twist what you say and you just giggle like a school girl.

Be a pussy. I'm not interested.

Hey, but at least you're chillin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home