September 3, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

I just blundered onto the settings page for this blog and noticed they'd added a few capabilities since last I checked.

So I made a few changes to see how it goes.

The first and perhaps the one which might have the most impact is the ability to turn off the maddening word verification deal that you had to go through to post comments.

This was done to thwart automatic programs which go through millions of blogs and leave spam all over comments.

I know it's a big headache, but if it makes you feel any better, I have to do it every single time I publish a post, make any changes, or additions even if it's only to add a comma, and every single time I publish a comment, or leave a comment myself. I mean, I have to try to decipher those crazy things sometimes dozens of times a day. I'm probably the happiest to see them go. It appears that I'll still have to struggle with them when I post, but at least you won't when you leave comments.

We'll see how it goes, but if the spam gets too thick, we may have to revert to the god-awful word verification deal.

The other change it's hoped will also make it easier for readers to post comments.

Rather than having the comment page open in a pop-up window, which apparently was either being blocked or causing problems for some, the comment page should now pop up in an entirely new window.

Oh yeah, and it also gave the ability to have an adult content warning page appear before anyone enters the blog. I thought that might be appropriate, so I turned it on.

It just warns you that there's adult type stuff on the blog and asks if you want to continue. Just a click on a button takes you to the blog.

If this turns out to be a hassle for anyone, let me know and I can get rid of it, but I was glad that it was available, as I'm not interested in offending anyone that isn't aware of the nature of this site.

Please give me your feedback on this and whether you find it easier, worse, or whether it makes no difference either way.

Thanks.

**UPDATE**
I've decided to scrap the adult content warning. I don't think it will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home