October 29, 2006

Guess it wasn't just me

One of the noticable goofs about the new Moline Library that I mentioned in a previous post was that the book return slots were apparently designed for only those driving Hummers, monster trucks, or semi tractors.



Just noticed this sign now posted at the return:
The alignment of the book return is currently under review with the contractors and architects. Thank you for your patience while we address this issue.


That's good. Considering that having the return slots nearly 5 ft up the wall probably wasn't a good idea. This is at or above roof level for most compact cars.



This mistake may have been due to the architect putting the slots at a reasonable height above grade level and no accounting for the fact that the street would be several inches below grade. The difference from architectural grade and the level of the pavement looks like about 9", which would be enough to put the slot out of reach to most vehicles.

I hope their "review" comes to the conclusion that it was an obvious design flaw and therefore should be corrected at the expense of the architect and/or contractor, whichever is found to be responsible.

9 Comments:

At 10/29/2006 8:35 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Nico,
They're Herman Miller Aeron chairs, and you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer one for less than $2000 (though there's a "Wave" chair that's giving it some competition)

Herman Miller Co. has been struggling and they are made in the U.S.

So if you have about $1300 or so burning a hole in your pocket, one of these babies would be a great investment.

You can find them online, and I'm certain that at least one joint in the area carries them, though I've forgotten which place. You could check on the Herman Miller website and they'll probably have a list of authorized dealers.

For someone who spends most of their time sitting, (like moi) it would be a sweet thing. I'm making due with a chair with one leg broken which makes sitting in it a sort of Russian Roulette-like experience.

I never know if I lean the wrong way if it might not suddenly squirt out from under me and I might land on my noggin with a crash.

Helps keep me on my toes. ha!

The Aeron will likely have to stay on my "wish list" for a long time.

 
At 10/30/2006 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sign has been there since for months. Get a book they are great. I think you will find that they are great.

 
At 10/30/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Lord, why do I have to suffer these dumbasses? Was it something I did in a former life?

Anyway, anon. I have checked out many books, not that it's some requirement. It just so happens that I've had them for a long time. They let you keep them for three weeks you know, and you can even renew them online.

And I usually don't return my books by the drivethrough, but I'll try to do so more often just to please you.

I live for idiots, and you're fullfilling my wildest fantasies lately.

 
At 10/30/2006 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the old days you had to go inside the library and drop off your books. This new system seems like a great improvment. Another kuddo for a great new library!

 
At 10/30/2006 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tone is uncivil and shows people what a fool you are. Instead og getting angy all the time why not relax and have another drink!

Maybe when your done you will make sense to yourself.

 
At 10/30/2006 10:54 PM, Blogger Tacky said...

Thanks for this insight. I will now return my books in Rock Island when I pass through.

 
At 10/31/2006 6:14 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I'd note that there have been drive up drop boxes available for many, many years. Yes, they're handy.

 
At 10/31/2006 6:18 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Whosyourdaddy,

Maybe if I drank enough I'd make sense to myself.

But there's not enough alcohol on the planet to make your comments seem sensible.

It reminds me of the story of the guy who was drunk and a stuffy woman said, "Why, you're DRUNK!"

And the guy said, "Yes, yes I am. But I'll be sober in the morning, and you'll STILL be ugly."

 
At 11/02/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole situation gives new meaning to "you get what you pay for...".

And brother we are going to pay through the nose at tax time. Thanks Welevert - the Do Nothing Mayor of Moline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home