September 20, 2006

Well, I tried

For some time I've been graced by some critics who take me to task for not being sufficiently "positive" about the area and the achievements of it's leaders. They attempt to slam me for being against everything, which of course, isn't remotely the case.

Feeling a bit guilty, I thought I'd do a post on what people really liked about the area, seeing as there must be positive things that I'd somehow been guilty of overlooking. If my critics were correct, I was ignorant of great things going on all over the place. This would surely be a way to get a flood of the "positivity" that they felt was lacking.

I even made my own list to get people started and then appealed to readers to share things they like about the area.

Well, the post has been up for four days now, sufficient time for people to respond, and so far, exactly ONE reader has managed to come up with 3 things they liked about the area.

I'd thought that at least those who've banged on the blog and local media for being "negative" would have at least contributed, but I guess I was wrong. Apparently they have a tough time thinking of things that are really great about the area themselves, even though they expect it of myself and the media in general.

The area surely isn't THAT bad. From hearing the critics, there's surely a wealth of things going on for which we all should be grateful.

So... again... can anyone think of anything they really like about this area? Anyone?

If so, let us know by commenting on the "That's what I like about you" post below.

4 Comments:

At 9/20/2006 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Likes: Whitey's, Harris Pizza, Aunt Bea's, Sunset Marina, John O'Donnell Stadium, bike paths, RI schools, Whitewater Junction, Mom's home cooking, cost of living, IL benefits for veterans, the long runway at the airport, Elliott Aviation, QC Airshow, John Deere Classic, cart racing, craps tables.

Desires: Robust graduate education programs, passenger train service from QC to Chicago, Democratic primaries.

 
At 9/20/2006 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the river, the people, whiteys, franks pizza & harris pizza, paupers den and hunters burgers, knowing your home town police officers, high school sports- state champs in softball from Moline and Alleman, the third busiest airport in Illinois, the local family run funeral homes, the local family run restaurants, Temples sports, the Vikings Club, the Svithoid Club, the East End Club, the Friends Club, Prime Rib at the Belgiam Village on Saturday night, the Rock River and the Back Water Gamblers, the crazy middle aged men in the local parades, all the parades, Hero Street, Hungry Hobo, Rt # 84 North all the way to Savanna and beyond, Le Claire, Port Byron tugfest, the St. Paticks Parade, Sacred Heart Church, Moline, Moline Cemetery and its story of Charles Dickens son, and its ghosts, the white squirel, Uncle Petes Gyros, Sammy G's, John Deere, Alcoa, Kone, Isabelle Bloom, the Mark, the RI Cemetery, the Arsenal, a dozen golf courses within 10 miles, the bike path, the ducks, the glass palace, the new Rock River Bridge, the sun sets along the river, Campbells Island, Princeton Beach, Aamons Landing, Illiniwek Park, the Bix, the John Deere Classic, the Fire Craker Run, the Silvis Country Music Festival (and its revival), the apple farm in Hampton, DeCaps tractors and the Metro Youth Club in the July 4th Parade, fireworks, the car shows in EM, RI and Silvis, Maid Rite, Sunset Park, BHC, Augie, Ambrose, Bonny Jain, (sp) Amtrak available for $18.00 from Kewanee or Galesburg, to get your child back to college....

 
At 9/21/2006 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one thing that I can say that sums it up for me is that it is "HOME". You can list all of the atractions that are listed above and they add to it. But for me and the past five generations of both of my parents families it is home. Plain and simple where the heart is home.

DB

 
At 9/21/2006 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

being able to walk my dog at night by myself and not worry about getting mugged or raped

 

Post a Comment

<< Home