March 13, 2006

"Iowa's 1st" covers battleground race

I've long realized that the Senate race in the Iowa 1st District (for the seat being vacated by Jim Nussel in order to run for governor) promises to be a barn-burner with obscene amounts of money involved and the national Democrats fighting to switch the district into their column and the Republicans equally determined to hold on to it.

I've always wanted to give the race as much coverage and attention as possible, (as well as other Iowa races), but unfortunately, like so much in the area, the river seems to be a huge divide where politics are concerned as much as it is in other areas. I don't hear much about the goings on across the river, and find that I don't look around for information about it as much as I should.


Enter the blogger known as "Scoop" (an appropriate name for the aspiring blogger if I ever heard one) and his "Iowa's 1st" blog. As if an answer to my prayers, it's a blog devoted to the whole of the 1st District, which covers most of eastern Iowa as shown in the map to the left, and spans 12 counties including Scott.

Though it's been up since January of this year, "Iowa's 1st" has escaped my radar. I noticed that John Beydler had added it to his growing list of local blogs on the QC Online blog digest page and checked it out.

It's been added to the blogroll in the sidebar, so take a look at it often to see how this race is developing.

4 Comments:

At 3/13/2006 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This will become one of the hottest races in the USA! Sorry, folks, but those of you who think Western IL politics really matters are in for a lesson in national politics. The control of the US House rides on Iowa's 1st CD.

 
At 3/14/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger jtizdal said...

Control of the house? I don't think the new congressman will get Nussle's committee assignments.

I'm preparing for the worst - even if Whalen manages to buy this seat he can't be worse than Nussle. The Democrats have been really quiet, but I think that has more to do with their frontrunner (Braley) being from the other side of the district than anything else.

 
At 3/14/2006 12:01 PM, Blogger jtizdal said...

I miss Leach too. I'm too young to remember when he was Scott County's congressman, but I lived (and still work) in his district and just recently moved back to the 1st district.

Which leads me to something else I don't quite understand - if Leach is from the Quad Cities how did he end up with the 3rd district?

 
At 3/14/2006 11:16 PM, Blogger jtizdal said...

Maybe,

Thanks for the synopsis. I didn't realize it was only 6 years ago that all this had happened. I moved to Iowa a little over 5 years ago.

People absolutely love him in Iowa City. Given he's an R that says quite a bit.

Speaking of IC and Iowa Republicans I'm reminded of a funny story. I was having a beer in downtown IC in a beer garden when a very nicely dressed late-middle-aged man walks by on the sidewalk. Someone nearby who had more to drink than I screams at the guy "HEY, THANKS FOR F*&#$*&ING UP OUR STATE". The guy looks up for a second and keeps walking. Turns out it was Terry Branstad. Given his reaction he must be used to that kind of thing in Iowa City.

Anyway, I too hope Nussle goes the path of Lightfoot or Ganske. As a state employee in an area probably unimportant to Mr. Nussle the thought of a Governor Nussle is right up there in my worst fears/concerns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home