January 11, 2006

Trucker finds drive-thru restaurant


A semi truck nearly tore off the entrance to a Hampton restaurant early Tuesday, just after it opened for business.

The truck, driven by Christopher J. Millikin, age and address unavailable, hit River Road Restaurant, 421 State Ave., just after 6 a.m., said Sgt. Jack Chick of the Hampton Police Department.

"The truck was going through the lot, went in to turn around and crushed into the front of the building," Sgt. Chick said. "He wanted to turn around and go back toward East Moline. He was using the lot to do that."

Because the accident was on private property and there was no evidence of alcohol, no tickets were issued, he said.

The trucking company, Extreme Transportation of Michigan, will pay for the damages, Sgt. Chick said.
Damn building came out of nowhere!

8 Comments:

At 1/11/2006 12:49 PM, Blogger K3KVE said...

Extreme transportation??!! LOL!

 
At 1/11/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Priceless, ain't it? I picked up on that as well.

They said there was no evidence of alcohol, but knowing the local law enforcement officers in that area, I doubt they'd notice if the guy was as wired as a long-tailed cat in a rocking chair factory.

 
At 1/11/2006 3:44 PM, Blogger QuadCityImages said...

It probably just saved him the trouble of crashing into our bridge later that day.

 
At 1/11/2006 4:27 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

QCI... HA! Yep, I'd say he'd be a good candidate. haha!

I swear, I'd like to just go LOOK at one of the truckers who actually manage to either miss or ignore the miles of blinking, flashing, glaring warnings and still hit that thing.

I'd just like at actually SEE someone capable of doing that with my own eyes just to believe they actually exist.

 
At 1/12/2006 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family and I go to eat here almost twice a month after Church. You can feed about 10 people for less then 50 bucks including tip. The owner is always there and is a great presence. Try the River road Sensation, or the Gyro Breakfast, you will be filled up until dinner. Also, my wife likes the "Business Mans" special" and their biscuits and gravy. Nice family run place. Support it if you are in Hampton.

 
At 1/12/2006 2:13 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Anon... thanks for that review. I've been curious about the place for some time. I've driven by there very early in the morning on some occasions and they were always open for breakfast. I've considered stopping in, but never have.

Now with your recommendation, I'll be more likely. It does seem like a business that both needs and deserves more patronage as it's competing against all sorts of national chains.

 
At 1/13/2006 8:16 AM, Blogger jtizdal said...

Isn't that where Adante's (sp) used to be before it burned down? That's just an unlucky place for a restaurant. All kidding aside, I'm glad nobody was hurt and Hampton still has the restaurant. That lot set empty for a long time after the fire.

 
At 1/15/2006 2:58 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

tiz.. I believe you're right, now that you mention it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home