November 14, 2005

New Comment Policy


Blogger recently added the ability for blog administrators to moderate comments. I've not taken advantage of this so far because the comments here were going along pretty well. (thanks to 99% of commenters here.)

But regretfully, the return of a certain political faction (you all know who they are) makes it necessary to adopt a more rigorous control of comments. I've warned these offenders dozens of times over several months now that if they didn't at least try to behave, I'd begin to delete their comments. It was like talking to a 2 year old and about as effective. Frankly, I've finally lost all patience.

These fine folks were not the only violators of good taste and decorum here, but they were by far the prime instigators and the most prolific and offensive offenders.

Due to their inability to contribute anything remotely serious to the discussion, relentless harassment of the blog and fellow commenters, reckless attempts to smear their opponents, and having proved hundreds of times over that they just don't "get it" and apparently never will, I'm now moderating comments.

This will mean that comments will appear, but only after having been screened. As always, all comments will still be completely anonymous. They'll just make a short pitstop in the approval area before appearing here. Otherwise, nothing will change. Comments will still appear in the order in which they're received.

Most people should find my few guidelines pretty simple and easy to follow.

-- Comments should be on topic. I realize that sometimes new subjects are introduced within a thread, and in that case, the discussion can take a turn. That's ok as long as the diversion isn't some wild charge or smear or something with no relation to the topic at hand.

-- Avoid belaboring a point. Once you've made your point, maybe even twice, or if you must, three times, give it a rest. We know your opinion by that point and further repetition is only overkill, especially if it's something for which you have no proof. Unless you have something new to add or another way to prove your point, let it go.

-- Avoid personal accusations or allegations for which you have no proof.

-- If you don't have a user name with Blogspot, please at least invent one and fill it in when posting comments. Too many comments as "anonymous" are confusing and can get annoying and may lead to them ending up in the trash.

-- I am the judge, jury, and executioner here at the benign dictatorship known as The Inside Dope. I intend to be very liberal in my screening of comments, after all, this ain't beanbag. But if you feel that your comment was axed unfairly, send me an e-mail and try to change my mind, maybe I'll see things your way.

Though I'd much rather not go this route, eliminating the distraction and disruption of those obsessed with their own agenda to the point of dragging down everything else ought to raise the level of comments considerably. It's my hope that when people see that the blog is rid of such garbage, more people will feel comfortable contributing their thoughts, views, and comments.

A benefit is that this will also make it possible to allow me to open up comments to everyone once more, even those not registered with blogspot, an expansion of comments rather than a restriction. I'm hoping it will prove to be a very positive move.

I'll OK comments and get them up as soon as possible. We'll give this a shot, and next time you see headusher or his alter-egos, be sure to thank them. I only wish I'd done this long ago.

Any problems or comments on this policy? Contact me at theinsidedope@gmail.com

7 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 9:35 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

If you had any idea the kind of mindless and vile comments that I have to constantly try to monitor and delete, I think this admittedly draconian measure might be more understandable.

The comments have long ago ceased to be merely annoying and have sunk to downright disgusting and increasingly whacky and bizarre.

I feel strongly that the blog will be better off if they simply never see the light of day.

As I said, I intend to try to quickly review and pass the majority of comments.

And to those who howl and sputter about being "anti-American" and all the other nonsense, I can only refer you to Rich Miller and Capitol Fax and recommend that you post the same ridiculous slams and attacks directed at him.
After all, his comments are reviewed and the inappropriate ones deleted instantaneously. And not even by Rich himself, but by others he trusts to monitor them in his absense.

This is not something I've ever thought I'd have to do, and I have avoided it for over 9 months now, but find that it's simply the only way to avoid having truly irresponsible, crude, and personal attacks posted here repeatedly by the same offenders.

It's a case of the few causing problems for the many, I'm afraid.

I can't monitor the blog 24/7, and some of these comments simply don't deserve to ever see the light of day, even if it's for a few hours before they're deleted.

I apologize for the change in policy, but as for now, I can tell you sincerely that I feel in the end, it's for the best for everyone. Let's see how it goes.

 
At 11/14/2005 9:41 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

PS. I wish there were some capacity to allow trusted commenters (by far the majority) comment directly and without delay. I'm not aware of a way to do that simply.
I have the ability to appoint others as "team members" with administrative rights. That would allow them to pass the screening process, but it also allows access to the entire backend operation, including the ability to delete, add, or edit posts, delete comments, etc.

In other words, it's all or nothing, and that's not workable at the moment.

Again, let's give it a try and see how it works. The policy is always subject to change, but as for now, it's the way it has to be.

Please bear with me.

 
At 11/14/2005 10:28 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

You're a beaut, dissenter. ha!

And I don't care anymore if people know I'm Richard Simmons. BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE PEOPLE!!! NOW LETS GET UP OFF OF THOSE FLABBY BEHINDS AND COMMENT THOSE NASTY POUNDS AWAY! OH, YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL! YOU REALLY ARE!

But setting my satin hot pants aside for the moment, (EWWWWWW!!!) I trust you'll see that I'll be pretty open-minded about posting comments, including those which might embarass me or which call my mental capacity into question.

That's all fair game, and I'm not resorting to this in order to only allow those who agree with me or sing my praises to comment, ala Rush Limbaugh and his no guest, all screened callers, total control power trip.

A prime reason for this is to not allow comments which unduely and perhaps unfairly smear or spread rumors about people who are utterly innocent. This isn't a venue for dirty, personal attacks against others besides myself, especially when they're reckless and irresponsible. I simply won't allow it.

As before, I invite anyone who sees this as a problem or who wishes to discuss this policy to contact me at theinsidedope@gmail.com

So far, I haven't gotten a single one.

What this boils down to is that some folks just never learn. After enduring it for ages, it gets down to simply doing what it takes to assert some sort of order here.

I think after some getting used to, it will work fine.

 
At 11/15/2005 12:29 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Hmmm Holiday Recipe Exchange...

That has a certain appeal...

Look for Grandma Dope's "Igneous" Fruitcake. If you don't eat it you can donate it to NASA for use as a heat shield tile on the space shuttle.

 
At 11/15/2005 11:08 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Why yes, yes I do.

It's called common sense.

You see, the way it works is that, when something has no evidence to back it up, has not been verified or confirmed, and is simply something imagined in someone's mind, then it's not "fact" until some sort of preponderance of evidence shows it to likely be true. And until it's verified or confirmed, it can't be stated as being a fact.

Now, when something isn't a "fact", as in the above case, it's considered "fiction", or maybe "speculation", or perhaps "opinion" or maybe "wild-ass smear attempt".

Things under those first two catagories should be identified and taken as such. Things under that bad, bad third catagory are not good. Not good at all. They get put in the trash before they see the light of day.

You see, it's not really hard. It just takes that "special power" called common sense.

Try it. It works!

If you'd like to continue this debate, as I've said several times now, you're more that welcome to contact me via email at theinsidedope@gmail.com

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them there. You've always had a hard time grasping why some things are acceptible and some things are not and I'd really like to help you understand this rather simple concept.

 
At 11/15/2005 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are voter guide and countydemo the same person??

They sound pretty much the same to me....

 
At 11/16/2005 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two nuts from the same tree?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home