September 8, 2007

Moron mail

I'm never sure if it's a blessing or a curse that my detractors and critics are usually such incredible morons and mental defectives.

I realize I should give them the attention they deserve, which is exactly none, but it's hard when it's so easy to show how utterly stupid they are.

Case in point. The recent post about the dangerous situation on the stretch of 17th street in Rock Island that's carved into two bike lanes, two traffic lanes, and a parking lane.

I was immediatly attacked for so much as mentioning this problem. Nitwits wrote in attacking me with invented facts and every other stupid distorted lie they could imagine.

Why someone would feel threatened by simply calling attention to a potentially lethal design flaw is anyone's guess.

But despite the fact that I ignore the worst of these asshats, I did get a couple which were impossible to avoid responding to.

I'd written describing the road including that the traffic lanes are divided by a dashed yellow line. I suggested in a comment that maybe one possible idea for preventing people from driving into oncoming traffic would be to change it to a solid yellow line.

In response, one bright light wrote:

Do you want the city to paint the solid yellow lines a brighter color? Which color do you recommend? Day glow-red?


I responded that there were no solid yellow lines. Then the next day, most likely the same dim-bulb offered:

You are mistake Dope. Try again.

The lines are as yellow and solid as your breath!

Charming sentiment, but I wasn't "mistake".

Despite their ignorant bluster and certitude, I knew that there are no solid yellow lines anywhere on the road. They would have known this too, if they bothered to actually look at the road or know what they're talking about before deciding to share their mental flatulence with us.


Left to right: Mystery lane, bike lane, traffic lanes divided by dashed yellow lines, bike lane.


Same thing about a half mile north. It's the same all along the section I described in the post.

So, to the bombastic bozo who apparently either hallucinated solid yellow lines, or simply decided to lie through their teeth in order to attack, (or more likely either didn't or was unable to actually read the post and figure out what road I was talking about).... bite me.

5 Comments:

At 9/09/2007 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dope, chill there big guy, it's Sunday.

You chose this blog, so accept that some people have a brain and will not agree with every silly liberal thought that you have.

You really are pretty thin-skinned for having such hateful thoughts.

 
At 9/10/2007 12:04 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I have no problem with intelligent people disagreeing with me.

But what I DO have a problem with is absolute idiots, such as yourself, who write stuff which makes NO sense whatsoever.

For your benefit, I'd point out that highlighting a dangerous traffic situation can't be labeled "liberal", unless you think that conservatives don't give a damn about a threat to public safety, which I'd imagine they do.

And spouting that there is a solid yellow line on the road when there clearly isn't ... doesn't qualify as "intelligent".

I don't hate you because you're pitifully stupid. But it is very frustrating that you're too stupid to realize it, and that you feel the need to display it here on a regular basis.

 
At 9/11/2007 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Down on 7th Avenue in Rock Island is the scariest part of this bicycle thing in the city. The right lane of traffic has to cross a "dashed" portion of bike path to make a right turn at one point. I have to go that way a couple times a week and try to use an alternate route in case there is a bicycle...

 
At 9/12/2007 7:40 AM, Blogger Benton Harbor said...

Dope... happened to be riding south on 17th with a friend last night. He'd never been on it. Because it's so wide on the east side of the street, he wasn't paying any attention to the broken yellow line. I looked up and he was in the wrong lane.

I'm wondering why RI didn't paint a double yellow line like they do on highways. That's pretty universal for not crossing the lanes. Man, you sure picked out a problem and one that will probably cause some litigation some day.

 
At 9/12/2007 3:49 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Benton,
I'm sorry to hear that you had that frightening experience, but glad to hear you and others back me up on this.

To hear my couple of rabid attackers on this post, you'd think I was just imagining the problem. They've done everything from suggesting I was the one with the problem, to trying to say that all sorts of official agencies don't see any problem, (so therefore I must be dreaming)

It definitely IS a problem, as was made plain by the fact that I've observed others barreling along into oncoming traffic on three occasions myself, though I rarely drive the road.

As I've said, I'm not certain what happens to confuse drivers, but the most certainly DO get confused.

And as you state, I would think that the cheapest and perhaps effective thing to do to at least try to prevent any serious accidents due to the weird lane markings, is to simply paint a fairly wide solid yellow line dividing the oncoming lanes, or as you suggest, double yellow lines like are painted on every other street where you are not allowed to cross over into the oncoming lane.

It seems simple.

But apparently there's bozo's out there who either feel threatened by anyone even noticing this serious problem, or they simply are so anxious to attack me that they're willing to lie and attack for something as innocuous and obvious as this issue.

At any rate, I'm glad you saw what I'm talking about in that dangerous stretch, and glad that you lived to tell about it!

It's never pleasant to find yourself heading into oncoming traffic, and I can attest that it's a bit unsettling when you're in your own lane and you suddenly see one (or in one case, two) cars coming at you at a high rate of speed IN YOUR LANE.

And as I said, what makes the situation even more dangerous is that there's relatively short sight distances on much of that stretch, and speeds are often pretty high... up to around 50 mph.

I'm not on some crusade here. But when I saw this happening for the third time, I felt it would be irresponsible to not at least bring it to light before something tragic happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home