January 19, 2007

Just flew in from Chicago and boy are my arms tired.

My appologies, I was called away on pleasure suddenly and have been out of town in the Windy City and environs for the past few days.

Here's a very short slide show.

This is looking out the door of my room... there was a 150 ft long winding brook running through the atrium with giant goldfish in ponds, and waterfalls, and it sounded like you were camped next to a mountain stream.

When I checked in, I was in a big hurry, so I jumped in the elevator and turned to face the doors, as usual. As the elevator began to climb though, I noticed some movement and turned around. The interior walls of the elevator were glass and I was now zooming up about 8 floors above a huge atrium. Kind of a startling thing to see when you turn around in an elevator.



And since I know how much readers love mystery pictures... who can be the first to I.D. this FOD (friend of the Dope)?




So what did I miss while I was gone?

I see Obama set up the old exploratory committee. Bill O'Reilly was a guest on The Colbert Report. The legendary Art Buchwald passed away, but only after recording his own death announcement message. James Brown is probably going to need a brand new body bag pretty soon, as they haven't buried him yet. Bush has lost what last remaining shreds of credibility he had left and is at last revealed for thinking the U.S. is a monarchy, though there's been abundant evidence of that for the past 6 years. They now say they'll abide by the FISA courts for secret wiretaps, despite arguing loud and long that the security of the country demanded that they bypass the court. (where are the commenters who defended that attack on the constitution now?)
A high ranking justice department lawyer said that Bush's corporate cronies should threaten to withdraw business from law firms who have members representing prisoners at Guantanamo prison, giving the finger to due process, and didn't get fired.
And the Democrats are holding true to their promises to address several crucial issues right out of the gate.

Feel free to comment on anything that caught your eye.

NOTE: To the buttpipe who thought they'd dig up my e-mail account and try to request the password, just how stupid are you? Wait, I already know. You spent your time trying to dig up an email address by poking around on my website code, then spent more time going to the ISP's site and trying to see if you could trespass. While there you saw a link to click if I'd forgotten my password.

Maybe I should be grateful that I'm blessed with blithering morons for enemies, but this takes the cake. You actually thought... what? That they'd just provide my password to whoever asks for it? Or did you think they'd somehow send this information to YOUR e-mail address?

How do I know you did this? Well gee, if you weren't so pathetic, you would have realized that they'd send me something along the lines of "Here's your password reminder that you requested", and since I hadn't requested it, it would be clear proof that you were trying to steal it, (albeit in such a dumb way that it's almost laughable.)

Give it up already, eh buddy? You're making an ass out of yourself and it might just get you in trouble. Just fair warning.

10 Comments:

At 1/20/2007 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the Hilton at Oak Brooke Terrace?

Also, apologies is one P, not two.

 
At 1/20/2007 1:32 AM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Close, within that same general area.

Good location for bopping into Chicago and then getting pretty much out of the traffic before heading home. Lots of really nice restaurants nearby as well.

It's always fun flying out on the Eisenhower around 4 or 5 a.m. A few years ago, I was going about 80 in the center lane and a Corvette passed me like I was literally standing still, changed back into my lane, lost control and spun completely around about 4 or 5 times ahead of me before coming almost to a stop in the middle lane facing me. It was one of those times when things seem like they're in slow motion.

I'd started moving to the left to avoid him but his after he came to a stop, his momentum started to roll the Corvette backwards at an angle towards the left. I realized that if Ihit the brakes, I would skid into him, so I had to floor it and swerve hard to make it between him and the guardrail before he rolled so far I couldn't fit through. It was like racing to an elevator before the door closed.

I swerved so hard that my girlfriend's head banged the side window. Fun in the big city.

Just how fast does a low slung Corvette with wide tires have to be going to spin several times? About 130? He had three lanes to play with, but at least he kept it on the road. I assume that after he got his bearings, he turned around and drove off before someone creamed him (or her).

Sorry to get sidetracked, but I just remembered the time the Eisenhower turned into Indy.

 
At 1/20/2007 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems very expensive. Your taste is very high. It must cost a fortune. I stay at the red roof in when in Chicago with the common people.

 
At 1/20/2007 12:51 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Good for you. Red Roof Inn's are fine, I'm sure. I'd remind you that I'm not an elected official, and am not paying for such things with contributor money or tax dollars, since apparently you don't recognize the difference.

 
At 1/20/2007 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do see the difference with tax dollars but for contributor's money I do not get the corelation. What one does with money after it is given to you as your employers money becomes yours once it is handed over.

 
At 1/20/2007 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

buttpipe. huh. gonna remember that one. Welcome back.

 
At 1/21/2007 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Campaign dollars are private, not public funds. The only real limit on campaign spending in Illinois is that campaign funds must be disclosed. Other than that fact politicians like Mike Boland are free to spend the money they raise as they see fit. Other than being prohibited from repaying personal loans, politcans are free to spend the money they raise as they see fit. I hope this serves to clear-up your confusion on this matter.

 
At 1/21/2007 1:23 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

I'm not confused in the least. What you apparently are too dense to conceive of is that constituents definitely are interested in how a politician spends the money that people gave to them.

I doubt that many donors gave their hard earned cash to support a lavish life-style. I would imagine instead it was to either influence the politician to support their causes to put more money in their pockets, or support a social issue, or to pay for campaign expenses.

I'm sure you feel that people buy tickets to spaghetti suppers so that the politician can eat $100 dinners with their money.

I'm just saying maybe not.

 
At 1/21/2007 1:24 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

Diehard,
I was fortunate to stay at the Palmer House a few years ago when I was in town for a concert at Soldier Field. Very nice indeed. A nice joint down the block called Miller's Pub as well, and the late, lamented Berghoff was just around the corner.

 
At 1/21/2007 8:49 PM, Blogger The Inside Dope said...

diehard,
No, this place is in the stretch of the Eisenhower (I-88) about 20 miles out from the loop which runs from Oakbrook to Naperville that's lined with dozens of gleaming corporate headquarters.
I think it's part of the so-called "tech corridor" established by the state that stretches from Aurora towards Chicago.

Another landmark further west is the vast landfill to the south of the expressway. It's laced with miles of pipes to vent methane gas and they burn it off through a standpipe not far from the road. This produces a huge plume of blue and yellow flame that shoots over 100 ft. into the sky like a huge blow torch flickering in the wind. Kind of spectacular.
Anyone else ever notice this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home